Given July 2017
I like to watch the popular TV show Family Feud. The host, Steve Harvey, often asks a new family contestant as part of their introduction, “What do you do?” They usually answer by telling Mr. Harvey what they do for a living or what they do at home. Some of what people do is very interesting.
But, as usual, it made me think, what if the contestant answered, “I’m a Christian.” Steve Harvey might say, “Well, that’s nice but what do you do?” to which the contestant might reply, “Well uh, I go to church, I give in the offering and, uh, I pray some and read my Bible some.” So, would that be a very good answer of what a Christian does? Think about it.
So, what IS a Christian supposed to “do”?
- “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15)
- “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” And, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Matthew 22:37-40)
- “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness” (Matthew 6:33)
- “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)
- Serve others “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” (Mark 9:35)
- Give, “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.” (Proverbs 3:27)
- Be ready to give an answer (1 Peter 3:15) (Read and study your Bible.)
- Be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18)
- Think on the good things (Philippians 4:8)
- Use your gifts. “As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: (1 Peter 4:10)
- Share the Good News of Jesus Christ. “And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.” (Mark 15:16) This includes us!
There are so many more things that we, as Christ followers, should be doing. I hope this will make us think and begin to, “Be doers of the Word”. (James 1:22)