Given June 3, 2014
Here are five tips to help you be the best dad you can.
1. Guide your children toward a relationship with their Heavenly Father. Show them the love of the God you serve by being a godly man yourself. Let them see you praying, reading His Word and living the faith you claim. Walk the talk.
2. Show genuine respect and love for the mother of your children. Nothing will make your kids feel more secure in your love and acceptance than seeing you cherish their mom. Boys, especially, need to see how a godly man loves a woman.
3. Remember that love is the motivation for discipline. Dads discipline because they love. The two are inseparable. Seek to guide, mold and correct – all with a gentle spirit of fairness and acceptance.
4. Spend time with your kids. In your children’s eyes, time spent with them is the measure of your love. Show them they’re high on our list by giving them your time. There’s no substitute.
5. Demonstrate your affection. Hug, kiss and offer a kind word. Every day. Tell your children you love them – and then show you mean it with your actions.
“Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6
Borrowed from Focus on the Family.