I have been urging those who attend my church to register to vote on November 6 and to exercise this right. I’m not telling them how they should vote but to pray about it, research what the candidates believe and stand for, and vote for the one who more closely follows our Christian values. Here are some reasons all Christians should vote I found and thought worth sharing.
1. Voting publicly recognizes that we submit to the authority of the political system in our nation as established by God. Romans 13:1-7.
2. Voting recognizes the equality of all people and their right to speak and be heard. James 2:1.
3. Voting is one way that we can obey God’s command to seek the good of those around us and our nation as a whole. Philippians 2:3.
4. Voting shows that we care deeply about who our leaders are as we are urged to offer prayer and intercession on their behalf. 1 Timothy 2:1, 2.
5. Voting is a simple yet significant way we can do something about politics in our nation. ‘All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing, Edmund Burke. Psalms 34:14.
6. Voting makes a difference in the same way a grain of salt makes a difference, and that is how we are to influence our society for good. Matthew 5:13.
7. Voting is a privilege not to be taken for granted. Those of us who reap the benefits of living in a democracy should play a part in upholding democracy.
8. Not voting is a form of voting, as it will influence the outcome. We need to take responsibility for our actions, as well as our lack of actions. I Peter 1:13.
9. Voting is part of our stewardship to use all the resources we have been given in ways that honor God; to waste a vote is to squander a gift.
10. Voting is Biblical. Jesus commands us to fulfill our responsibility to the civil authority. Matthew 22:21.
Polls say 40% of eligible voters won’t vote in 2012. “When the righteous triumph, there is great glory, but when the wicked rise, people hide themselves. Proverbs 28:12. It is the responsibility of every Christian to vote for leaders who promote Christian principles. Our future is up to us: “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14. Find out when the deadline is to register to vote in your state, it is October 15 in Virginia, and go vote!
*Source: Adapted from Let Freedom Ring, Inc. which referred to original source: “Factfile: Top Ten Reasons to Vote” by Kandiah Krish in “Just Politics.” I am sharing this information which I originally found at the DefendChristians website: http://defendchristians.org/